Sunshine and smoothies

I have officially traded in my stilettos and statutes for sunshine and smoothies. And it is blissful.

Today, thanks to jet lag and my 24 hour travel sensation yesterday, I crashed for about 7 hours before awaking fresh as a daisy at 4am. Needless to say, I was thrilled I booked the earlier ferry. The wonderful people at the Amarin Samui, where I only spent one very short night, packed me a breakfast as my ferry pick-up was prior to the opening of the breakfast buffet. Funny enough, their idea of breakfast to go was a toasted tuna salad sandwich with a banana and watermelon – so I had it for lunch when I arrived in Koh Tao. I thanked them for their kindness and hopped in my shuttle service to the Lomprayah pier at Mae Nam on Koh Samui.


The ferry took about two hours to get to Koh Tao and it was really easy, organized and clear as to which stops were made. It was packed but air conditioned.

Upon arrival, I met up with two other divers going to Ocean Sound Dive and Yoga (a couple from the Netherlands) and we easily found our driver Ko. We hopped in the back of his truck and he took us to the office to check in. We signed away our lives to PADI certification and then were taken to the hotel they work with (as accommodation is included in the course).

After checking in, I headed to a nearby beach cafe for some reading and sunshine.

Smoothie was called pacific paradise. Totes approp.

After a couple of relaxing hours and a life-changing smoothie, I headed back to the hotel room for a quick shower.

The hotel is, well, rustic. But seeing as how it is included in the price of the diving courses, I thought I would just go with the flow. Hmmm….

The plus sides: literally next to the dive school, on the beach, right by a 7-11, lots of cute restaurants and cafes right by, balcony, has own beachfront restaurant as well

The not so plus sides: no a/c (which is fine), no hot water (this is tolerable due to lack of a/c however hair washing could be difficult and/or painful), no flushing toilet – I have to fill a giant bucket full of water to “manually flush” (have mercy), only one electrical plug and one light.

To all of you who doubt my ability to rough it (with good reason), this is as close as I get.

I had my intro to the open water course this evening (watching a video, getting the schedule, meeting our dive instructor Tanja) and then I popped across the street to the yoga studio. The yoga studio is also owned by the dive school so I decided to get a 7 day pass since I’ll be here for that long. I managed to get into the pretty packed 7pm yin yoga class which was fantastic!

I am definitely looking forward to the next few days of diving and yoga! Now off to finish my dive homework before bed!


You may also like

No comments

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.