I thought I would do a series on my six month funemployment – the good, the bad and the ugly. Six months is a long time… but this particular post will highlight all of the fun, amazing and exciting things that happened in my six months of unemployment.
I left my job as an attorney on September 15th, 2016. I started my new job in the corporate headquarters of a US bank on March 29, 2017. In the 194 days of unemployment, I managed to squeeze in the following:
Some funemployment stats:
- Countries travelled to: 7 (including 2 London stints)
- States travelled to: 8 states (including 3 trips home to Wisco)
- Brunches consumed: 48 (that I can count… and not including brunch-like food at home – also, sidenote, there were only 56 weekend days in my 194 days of unemployment… so I feel like this is a pretty successful brunch count!)
- Avocados consumed: countless… but I am pretty sure that I am solely responsible for the constant increase in avocado prices (supply and demand and all that)
- Barre, Yoga, Pilates or Barre classes attended: 46 classes
- Gym sessions completed: 92 60-90 minute gym sessions
- Paychecks received: NONE! (ok, well, I did one 4 day translation freelancing gig from home… which went to the travel fund…)
It was fun while it lasted, but as you will see in the ‘bad’ and ‘ugly’ part of this Funemployment series, funemployment isn’t all sunshines and unicorns (even though a lot of it was – see sunshine and unicorns above)! If I could go back and do it all again (with job certainty and hindsight), I probably would have spent more time traveling but alas, hindsight is 20/20… and I had to spend some time on the ground in NYC hustling and interviewing… details to come!